From now, I’m going to be undertaking conscious and a more structured approach to my appreneur journey. Instead of just building small apps that I’d like to see on the app stores, I have decided to also target the supporting connected services of app development to broaden my revenues streams and increase my skill set from just programming.
I’ve found that the graphics package that I created is selling better than my project template on the Unity Asset store. Graphics packages are easier and faster to produce rather than full templates or code samples. And buyers can easily see what they will get for their money.
In this first experiment, I’m going to create a set of my own menu icons. Menu icons are something that I use across all my app projects, so by creating a set of them to reuse in every app, it will mean more consistency across my apps for users. It will also mean that I can tidy my Dropbox folder of icons so only use a few variations.
Another reason why I choose to create graphics is that the skills I gain from this experiment will be create a good base to build upon and will be useful for years to come.
My objectives with this experiment are to:
- Improve my design skills from MVP to mid range
This will allow me to become more self sufficient at developing apps up to a higher graphical level.
- Create at least one set of menu icons suitable for sale in the Unity Asset Store.
This will give me another product that I can begin to sell to hopefully increase my revenue from the Asset Store.
Contents of Icons Package
The menu icons I’ve identified that I consistently use are listed below. So this (at a minimum) will be my base set of menu icons.
- Button background variations – slightly rounded corners, rounded corners, square corners
- Fast Forward
- Sound playing
- Sound muted
- No sound
- Arrow left
- Arrow right
- Arrow up
- Arrow down
- No internet
- Unable to save
Project Length and Deadlines
I’ll be doing this experiment in between my contract work and my other project, but I’m hoping the progress will be good.
As it’s July, I thought that a suitable length of time for this experiment would be until the end of the October. I want to get these icons completed by the end of September and into the Asset Store by the end of October. It may sound like a long time, but I’m going on holiday in August and currently wrapping up a client project. This project could lead to a second stage which would be completed by December so I didn’t want this experiment and that project to overlap too much especially during the later stages of the project. Overall, I think this is realistic time frame.
Follow Me To Learn More
I’ll probably post about the results of this experiment on the blog at certain points and then do a post about my results of this experiment. So, if you’d like to hear more about my progress within this experiment and other projects I’m working on, I’ll be sharing skills learned and assets created to my mailing list every couple of weeks so please sign up to get updated.